What's a background?
A background is a piece of art designed specifically to fit perfectly to the parameters of your page, remain layered as the back-most item at all times and stay locked in place for ease of page editing.
What can I use a background for?
The ONLY thing a background can be used for is as a background for your page.
Once a background is placed on your page and selected (clicked on), the contextual menus that appear will only have tools that pertain to backgrounds active.
The tools active in the EFFECTS palette (the magic wand menu) are:
- If you're working with a linked page spread, the blue links signify that your pages are linked. By clicking this icon, you can un-link your pages.
- The multi-select touch interface button allows you to select multiple items on a touch device.
- If you'd like to remove the background from your page, use the trash icon.
- Use the adjustments panel to adjust the brightness and contrast of your background.
The tools active in the PROPERTIES palette (the i in a circle menu) are:
- Flip and/or rotate backgrounds to allow for creative freedom.
- You can also decrease the opacity (make it more see through) of your background by using the Opacity Slider.
If you choose to place a COLORABLE background on your page, things will look a little different. All colorable art will appear black on your page. (Not sure what items are colorable? Look for the color wheel next to the thumbnails in the art menus)
The contextual menus for colorable backgrounds will contain additional options.
Click the 'fill' box (box that shows what color is applied to the colorable art currently selected) to be taken to the COLORIZE menu. Here you can choose any color available in the Pictavo color picker to apply to your colorable background. Truly, your options are endless.
Don't forget to save the color you choose to your very own SAVED COLORS library (see bottom of Colorize menu panel) to make it available to use later!
Once a color is chosen, your colorable Background will then appear to be that color.